Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Phantoms of Old

I still remember some old fears from my childhood. They would really only disturb me around nightime. See, night is when fears, nightmares and evil monsters com out to play. well, they play in your mind, but having an uncle who constantly warned of and acted like the boogeyman didn't really halp me sleep peacefully at night. see, i was always afraid of he evil spirit that hid under my bed. he was decsribed to me as having blood red skin, with draconic wings, sharp talons and fangs. He also talked softly, with a malevolent hiss. That was the worst part, because each time every soft noise that I heard became his whisper. Looking back on how I was reduced to tears, i wonder if my uncle had been watching "The Exorcist" a few too many times.

I also had another peculiar fear of Thomas the Tank Engine. Now don't get me wrong, as a three year old kid, I loved the adventures of Thomas the Tank Engine. He was a hero by day, but I hated him at night though, as my parents once put a 'glow in the dark' Thomas on my door. Although I remember that strange gren glow, I have absolutely no recollection as to why it scared so me much. I just don't know why.

I also used to have a fear of robots. Not r2-d2. i mean those old, square-headed robots who used little red lines on their faces to form expressions of anger. My first ever nightmare, involved one such robot jumping out of my closet and chasing me all the way to my parents room. Well, after that dream abruptly ended, i found myself really wary around any robots that i saw. They weren't human. They were evil. Of course now i think tha robots are awesome. Come on, which sane person doesn't like the autobots. Well now I'm on about a great movie. go see it sometime.

There you have it. My three greatest childhood fears; some that were figments of my imagination, while others were born as a cruel joke. It's little wonder that I hate horror flicks

No comments: